What You Need
- 1/4 yard multicolor print (pincushion sides, bottom)
- 1/8 yard orange floral (petals)
- 6" square magenta polka dot (center)
- 6" square heavy interfacing
- Polyester fiberfill
Finished Pincushion: 6 X 6 X 3"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances.
Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Your Fabrics
Cut pieces in the following order.
From multicolor print, cut:
-- 8 of Pattern A
-- 1 of Pattern D
From orange floral, cut:
-- 16 of Pattern B
From magenta polka dot, cut:
-- 1 of Pattern C
From heavy interfacing, cut:
-- 1 of Pattern C
- Sew together multicolor print A pieces in a row to make pincushion side (Diagram 1). Clip seam allowances; finger-press seams to one side.
- Join two orange floral B pieces, leaving short edge open for turning (Diagram 2). Turn right side out. Press to make a petal. Repeat to make eight petals total.
- Matching center marks at raw edges, pin petals to outside of pincushion side; baste (Diagram 3).
- Sew together ends of pincushion side to make a circle, leaving an opening for stuffing (Diagram 4).
- Matching dots, baste magenta polka-dot C circle to top edge of pincushion side (Diagram 5). Join together 1/4" from edge. Clip seams; turn to right side.
- Stuff lightly with fiberfill until pincushion stands on its own.
- Baste small gathering stitches 1/8" from edges of multicolor print D circle. Center interfacing C circle on wrong side of D circle; pull gathers tight, wrapping D circle around interfacing, to make pincushion base (Diagram 6). Secure thread. Press.
- Hand-sew pincushion base to bottom opening.
- Stuff firmly with fiberfill. Hand-sew side opening closed to complete pincushion.