To order a kit of assorted felted wool to make one heart pincushion and one flower pincushion (colors will vary), send $9.95 ppd. (MN residents, send $10.60 ppd.) to Rosebud's Cottage, 2580 7th Ave., North St. Paul, MN 55109; 651/426-1885; www.rosebuds-cottage.com.Materials for Heart Pincushion
- Scraps assorted felted wool in two to four different colors (pincushion, appliqués, and tie)
To felt wool, machine-wash it in a hot-water-wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry it on high heat and steam-press.
- 2 of heart pattern
- 1 each of flower and circle patterns
- 1 -- 3/8 X 12" tie strip
Use three strands of embroidery floss for all embroidery
- Layer wool circle and flower pieces atop a heart piece. Stitching through all layers, make a large cross-stitch in the center of the circle to secure.
- Layer hearts and blanket-stitch around edges, leaving a 1" opening on a straight edge. To blanket-stitch, pull your needle up at A (see Blanket Stitch diagram), form a reverse L shape with the perle cotton, and hold the angle of the L shape in place with your thumb. Push your needle down at B and come up at C to secure the stitch.
- Stuff heart with fiberfill, then blanket-stitch the opening closed.
- Knot each tie end, then match centers of tie and back of heart. Stitch tie in place, hiding knots underneath tie, to complete pincushion.