When choosing fabrics for the miniature patchwork pieces that make up designer Cindy Taylor Oates' bag, select mostly small-scale prints. For more style, consider using a specialty fabric, such as silk douppioni, for the solid band or for the entire bag. If you want a more secure bag, think about adding a closure, such as ribbon ties, a button and loop, or magnetic snaps.
- 18-x-22-inch piece (fat quarter) pink print (triangle-squares, band, bag base)
- 18-x-22-inch piece (fat quarter) dark pink print (triangle-squares, lining)
- 1/4 yard light green print (Four-Patch units)
- 1/4 yard green print (Four-Patch units, bag handle)
- 1/8 yard green polka dot (Four-Patch units)
- 1/3 yard muslin (backing)
- 16-x-26-inch thin batting
- 3-x-9-inch rectangle heavy cardboard
Dimensions: 9 x 9 x 3 inches
Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Continued on page 2: Cut Fabrics