Easy Splish Splash Shower Curtain
Captivated by a goldfish print, designer Jill Abeloe Mead used fabrics from the Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries collection by Heather Ross for FreeSpirit to create a shower curtain.
Upload your photo here.
Materials for Shower Curtain
- 3 yards fish print (top panel)
- 1/3 yard each of orange batik and polka dot (center panel)
- 1/4 yard solid blue (center panel)
- 1 1/2 yards orange-and blue stripe (bottom panel)
- 4 1/2 yards solid white (lining)
- Plastic shower curtain liner
- Shower curtain rings or hooks
Finished Shower Curtain
72 inches square Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
All measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the order that follows. (Because the shower curtain will be laundered, be sure to prewash your fabrics.) Cut fish print and solid white rectangles lengthwise (parallel to the selvage).
From fish print, cut:
- 1 40-1/2-x-47-3/4-inch rectangle, and 2 18-1/4-x-47-3/4-inch rectangles, matching pattern repeats along the 47-3/4-inch edges
From orange batik, cut:
- 4 2-x-42-inch strips
From polka dot, cut:
- 4 2-x-42-inch strips
From solid blue, cut:
- 2 2-x-42-inch strips
From orange-and-blue stripe, cut:
- 1 40-1/2-x-25-1/4-inch rectangle
- 2 18-1/4-x-25-1/4-inch rectangles
From solid white, cut:
- 1 40-1/2-x-80-inch rectangle
- 2 18-1/4-x-80-inch rectangles
Assemble Shower Curtain
- Carefully matching the pattern repeat, sew together the fish print 18-1/4-x-47-3/4-inch and 40-1/2-x-47-3/4-inch rectangles to make the top panel (Diagram 1). Press seams toward outer edges.
- Cut and piece orange batik 2-x-42-inch strips to make two orange batik 2-x-76-inch strips. Repeat to make two polka dot 2-x-76-inch strips and one solid blue 2-x-76-inch strip. Referring to Shower Curtain Assembly Diagram, join the 2-x-76-inch strips to make the center panel. Press seams in one direction.
- Sew together the orange-and-blue stripe 18-1/4X-x-25-1/4-inch and 40-1/2-x-25-1/4-inch rectangles to make the bottom panel. Press seams toward outer edges.
- Join top, center, and bottom panels to make shower curtain. Press all seams toward bottom panel. The shower curtain should be 76 x 80 inches including hem allowances.
- Turn bottom edge of shower curtain under 2 inches twice; sew along fold to make hem.
- Sew a solid white 18-1/4-x-80-inch rectangle to each long edge of the solid white 40-1/2-x-80-inch rectangle to make the lining. Press seams toward center. Turn bottom edge of lining under 2 inches twice; sew along fold to make hem.
- With wrong sides together, machine-baste shower curtain to lining at top and side edges. Turn basted side edges 1 inch to the lining side twice; sew along fold to make hem.
- Turn basted top edges 2 inches to the lining side twice; sew along fold to hem. Mark positions for buttonholes across top hem using holes in the plastic shower curtain liner as a guide for spacing. Make a 1/2-inch vertical buttonhole at each mark. To hang, insert shower curtain rings or hooks through shower curtain and plastic liner.