To use freezer paper for cutting out the pieces, as was done in this project, complete the following steps.
- Lay freezer paper, shiny side down, over the patterns. With a pencil, trace each pattern the number of times indicated. Roughly cut out the freezer-paper shapes.
- Using a hot, dry iron, press the freezer-paper shapes, shiny side down, onto the right side of the designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out the fabric shapes on the drawn lines. Peel off the freezer paper.
- From cream wool, cut: 2 of Pattern A
- From mint green wool, cut: 4 each of patterns B and B reversed 2 of Pattern C 1 of Pattern C reversed
- From gold, periwinkle, dark periwinkle, burgundy, and rose wool scraps, cut: 6 of Pattern D 5 of Pattern E
Use one ply of perle cotton for applique stitches unless otherwise stated.
- Referring to the Applique Placement Diagram, position the two teal 1/4-x-10-inch strips in a heart shape on a cream A heart. Steam the wool strips, if necessary, to ease in extra fabric along the curves, and trim the strip ends at an angle so they abut. Use a glue stick to hold the strips in place. Using green perle cotton and running stitches, stitch the long edges of each teal strip to the cream heart. To make a running stitch, pull your needle up at A (see diagram) and insert it back into the fabric at B, 1/8 inch away from A. Pull your needle up at C, 1/8 inch away from B, and continue in the same manner.
- Using green perle cotton, stem-stitch three tendrils extending into the center of the heart. To stem-stitch, pull your needle up at A (see diagram), then insert it back into the fabric at B, about 1/4 inch away from A. Holding the thread out of the way, bring your needle back up at C and pull the thread through so it lies flat against the fabric. The distances between points A, B, and C should be equal. Pull gently with equal tautness after each stitch. Continue in the same manner, holding the thread out of the way on the same side of the stitch every time.
- Referring to the Applique Placement Diagram, position the mint green B and B reversed leaves around the top of the teal appliqued heart; glue in place. Position the mint green C and C reversed leaves along the center stem-stitched tendril; glue. Using green perle cotton, backstitch down the center of each leaf. To backstitch, pull your needle up at A. Insert it back into the fabric at B, and bring it up at C. Push your needle down at D, and bring it up at E. Continue in the same manner.
- Referring to the Applique Placement Diagram, arrange the gold, periwinkle, dark periwinkle, burgundy, and rose D and E flowers atop the teal appliqued heart; glue in place.
- Using two plies of gold, periwinkle, or rose perle cotton, make three French knots in the center of each flower. To make a French knot, pull the thread through at the point where the knot is desired (A on the diagram). Wrap the thread around your needle once without twisting it. Insert the tip of your needle into the fabric at B, 1/16 inch away from A. Gently push the wrap down the needle to meet the fabric. Pull your needle and trailing thread through the fabric slowly and smoothly.
Continued on page 3: Complete the Heart Ornament