What You Need (for two place mats)
- 1/2 yard each of four assorted light yellow prints (place mat top, backing, binding)
- 2 13-x-18-inch rectangles heavy interfacing
- Quilt-basting spray
Finished Place Mat: 13 x 18 inches. Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4-inch seam allowances unless otherwise stated. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Your Fabrics
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order.
From light yellow print #1, cut:
- 4 --Top and bottom triangles measuring 13-1/4 inches x 13-1/4 inches x 18 inches
From light yellow print #2, cut:
- 4--Side Triangles measuring 11 inches x 11 inches x 13 inches
From light yellow print #3, cut:
- 2 13-x-18-inch rectangles
From light yellow print #4, cut
- 4 4-1/2-x-42-inch binding strips
Assemble Place Mats
1. For one place mat you will need two each of light yellow prints top/bottom and side triangles, one 13-x-18-inch rectangle, and two 4-x-42-inch binding strips. Lay out top/bottom (A) and side (B) triangles in a rectangle (Diagram 1).
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together the triangles to make a large triangle. Press seam toward the top/bottom (A) peices piece.
3. Repeat Step 2 with remaining triangles.
4. Join large triangles to make place mat top. Press seam.
5. Place light yellow print 13-x-18-inch rectangle, wrong side up, on paper-covered flat surface. Lightly spray rectangle with quilt-basting spray. Aligning edges, center 13-x-18-inch interfacing rectangle on adhesive-sprayed light yellow print rectangle. Lightly spray interfacing rectangle with quilt-basting spray. Aligning edges, center place mat top, right side up, on adhesive-sprayed interfacing rectangle. Baste the layers together around the place mat 3/8 inch from the edges.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for second place mat.
Finish Place Mats
1. Join two light yellow print 4-1/2-x-42-inch binding strips for each place mat.