- 1/2 yard each of four assorted light yellow prints (place mat top, backing, binding)
- 2 13-x-18-inch rectangles heavy interfacing
- Quilt-basting spray
Finished Place Mat: 13 x 18 inches. Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4-inch seam allowances unless otherwise stated. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order.
- 4 --Top and bottom triangles measuring 13-1/4 inches x 13-1/4 inches x 18 inches
- 4--Side Triangles measuring 11 inches x 11 inches x 13 inches
- 2 13-x-18-inch rectangles
- 4 4-1/2-x-42-inch binding strips
1. For one place mat you will need two each of light yellow prints top/bottom and side triangles, one 13-x-18-inch rectangle, and two 4-x-42-inch binding strips. Lay out top/bottom (A) and side (B) triangles in a rectangle (Diagram 1).
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together the triangles to make a large triangle. Press seam toward the top/bottom (A) peices piece.
3. Repeat Step 2 with remaining triangles.
4. Join large triangles to make place mat top. Press seam.
5. Place light yellow print 13-x-18-inch rectangle, wrong side up, on paper-covered flat surface. Lightly spray rectangle with quilt-basting spray. Aligning edges, center 13-x-18-inch interfacing rectangle on adhesive-sprayed light yellow print rectangle. Lightly spray interfacing rectangle with quilt-basting spray. Aligning edges, center place mat top, right side up, on adhesive-sprayed interfacing rectangle. Baste the layers together around the place mat 3/8 inch from the edges.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for second place mat.
1. Join two light yellow print 4-1/2-x-42-inch binding strips for each place mat.
2. Using a 3/4-inch-wide seam allowance, bind place mat with binding strips. Topstitch binding 1/8 inch from inner edges.