Pink Pizzazz Purse
This ultra mod bag is made from recycled pink sweaters. Use fashion rings to attach a pink striped handle, sew in a zipper closure, and add a buckle strap for a decorative touch.
What you'll need:
- Solid pink felted sweater
- Striped pink felted sweater
- Silver 2-1/8-inch rings (Dritz Glamour Rings #121-65)
- Silver 1-5/8-inch buckle (Dritz Buckle #152-65)
- 9-inch pink zipper
- Hook-and-loop fastener square or dot
- Dressmaker's chalk
- Measure, scissors, pins, sewing machine, needle, thread
- Seam ripper
- Safety pins
- Zipper presser foot
1. Enlarge the pattern pieces 200 percent and cut them out. Pin the pattern pieces to the felted sweaters as follows.
Pink sweater: Cut two front/back panel pieces. If the sweater has a cute pocket, cut one panel piece to include it; otherwise, cut a 2-inch square to make a pocket.
Striped sweater: Cut one bottom piece and one handle piece so that the end of the patterns are placed on a fold of the fabric with the stripes running horizontally. If there isn't a large enough sweater area to cut the bottom in one piece, add 1/2 inch to the end of the pattern at the fold line, cut a second piece, and sew them together. Cut one buckle strap piece, again with the stripes running horizontally.
2. Pin the top edges of the side panel pieces to each side of the zipper (on the zipper tape) so that the edges meet. Install a zipper presser foot and topstitch the panels to the zipper. If there isn't a pocket on the sweater fabric, topstitch a small pocket on one panel.
3. Open the zipper. Pin the purse bottom to each side of the front/back panels with the right sides together. The narrow ends of the bottom will extend beyond the top edge of the panels. Sew with a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Take care not to stretch the fabric.
4. Turn the purse right side out. Fold the ends of the bottom to the inside of the purse and insert a silver ring in each fold. Hand-stitch the ends in place.
5. Fold the ends of the purse strap over each ring as shown in the photograph, and hand-stitch them closed.
6. Hand-stitch the straight end of the buckle band onto the center of the back of the purse. Poke the buckle through the strap near the shaped end. Hand-sew or glue the loop side of the hook-and-loop fastener to the back of the buckle strap.
Start sewing the seam at the center of each piece, sewing toward the narrow ends. This will help prevent distorting the fabric pieces.