- 1/8 yard print number 1 (top and bottom)
- 1/8 yard print number 2 (side band)
- 1 yard 1/8- to 3/8-inch-wide ribbon
- 2 -- 3/4-inch-diameter buttons
- Polyester fiberfill
- Doll maker's needle
- Marking pen
Finished Pincushion: 1 X 3-3/4 inches
Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order. Download the pattern below. Be sure to transfer the dots (matching points) marked on the patterns to the templates, then to the fabric pieces.
- 2 of Pattern A
- 1 of Pattern B
- Using sharp scissors, clip into the seam allowance along edges of B strip at marking dots, but do not cut into or beyond seam lines.
- Fold B piece in half widthwise and sew together across short ends (Diagram 1). Press seam open.
- Matching dots, sew one long edge of the B piece to A square (Diagram 2).
- Repeat step 3, joining remaining A square to unsewn edge of the B piece, leaving a 1-1/2-inch opening for turning along one side (Diagram 3).
- Turn pincushion right side out. Stuff firmly with polyester fiberfill. Hand-sew opening closed.
- Thread doll maker's needle with ribbon. Stitch down through center of pincushion at mark, leaving a 4-inch-long tail of ribbon on top of pincushion. Wrap ribbon up over one side of pincushion and stitch down again through center of pincushion (Diagram 4).
- Pull ribbon snug against pincushion, being careful not to shorten ribbon tail. Repeat with remaining sides (Diagram 5).
- Trim ribbon ends to 1/2 inch. Fold each end in half, and whipstitch to pincushion.
- Center one button on pincushion top over ribbon ends and second at bottom center. Taking long stitches through the center of pincushion sew buttons firmly in place.