To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order.
- 2 2-1/2-x-42-inch strips
- 2 8-1/2-x-6-inch rectangles
1. Fold tea towel in half crosswise; press. Cut along fold to yield two 14-x-20-inch rectangles (do not remove hems). Set one rectangle aside to make a second child-size apron if desired.
2. Turn under long unhemmed edge of 14-x-20-inch rectangle 1/4 inch; press. Turn under again 1/4 inch; press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge to hem side edge of apron front rectangle.
3. Using a water-soluble or chalk marker and a ruler, draw folding and cutting lines on rectangle (Diagram 3). Trim rectangle diagonally at top right and top left corners.
4. Fold diagonal edge under 1 inch at top right corner; press (Diagram 2). Turn under again 1 1�4 inches; press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge to make casing. Repeat for top left corner to make one apron front.
1. Cut and piece multicolor floral 2-1/2-x-42-inch strips to make one 2-1/2-x-80-inch tie strip.
2. Fold tie strip in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew together along long edges and across ends, leaving an opening along long edge for turning. Turn right side out to make a tube. Press; slipstitch opening closed to make a tie.
3. Using a large safety pin, thread tie from waist to neck on left side of apron front and from neck to waist on right side. (The loop at the top goes over the head.) The position of the apron and the length of the tie is easily adjusted by sliding the tie through the casing.
1. Sew together multicolor floral 8-1/2-x-6-inch pocket pieces, leaving an opening for turning along one short edge. Clip corners; turn to right side. Slipstitch opening closed.
2. Topstitch top edge of pocket (this prevents edge from rolling and stretching). Referring to Diagram 3 for placement, pin pocket in place on apron front; topstitch bottom and side edges of pocket in place to complete child-size apron. If desired, add a centerline of vertical stitches to divide pocket into two compartments.