Make a Pretty Paisley Apron
FreeSpirit fabric by Heather Bailey is a great fit for this ruffle-filled apron.
Upload your photo here.
- 1-1/2 yards aqua print (apron body, waistband, ruffle, pocket, ties)
- 5/8 yard brown print (bias trim)
- Lightweight, nonfusible interfacing
Width at waistband: 24 inches
Length: 22 inches
Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Unless otherwise specified, measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Fabrics for Apron
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order.
From aqua print, cut:
- 1 -- 20-x-24-inch rectangle, cutting it into enough 4-1/4-inch-wide bias strips to total 90 inches for ruffle
- 1 of Apron Pattern
- 2 -- 3-1/2-x-30-inch strips (ties)
- 2 of Waistband Pattern
- 1 of Upper Pocket Pattern
- 1 of Lower Pocket Pattern
From brown print, cut:
- 1 -- 1/4-x-19-inch bias strip for bow
- 1 -- 12-inch square, cutting it into enough 1-1/8-inch-wide bias strips to total 90 inches for trim
From lightweight interfacing, cut:
- 1 of Waistband Pattern
- 1 -- 1-3/4-x-6-1/2-inch strip
Assemble Apron Body
1. To sew darts in apron piece, match up dashed lines, then stitch. Press darts toward center front.
2. Cut and piece aqua print 4-1/4-inch-wide bias strips to make one 90-inch-long ruffle strip. Turn under a scant 1/4 inch twice on one long edge of ruffle strip; press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge.
3. With a long machine stitch, sew 1/4 inch from long raw edge of ruffle strip. Pull up threads to gather the edge.
4. With wrong sides together, match center of gathered ruffle strip and bottom center of apron; pin strip along bottom and side edges, evenly distributing gathers. Stitch in place; do not press ruffle strip open.
5. Cut and piece brown print 1-1/8-inch-wide bias strips to make:
- 1 55-inch-long bias strip
- 1 26-inch-long bias strip
- 1 7-inch-long bias strip
6. With the bias strip right side down, pin and stitch brown print 55-inch-long bias strip to apron edge over the ruffle (Diagram 1). Press ruffle and bias strip away from apron, then press bias strip away from ruffle.
7. Tuck raw edge of bias behind the seam allowance and pin in place. Sew close to folded edge of bias through all layers.
- Turn under 1/4 inch twice on each long edge of aqua print 3-1/2-x-30-inch strips, press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge.
- Fold hemmed strip in half lengthwise and sew across one end. Clip point. Press seam to one side. Turn right side out and press seam in center of hemmed strip. Sew across resulting triangle.
1. Baste waistband interfacing to wrong side of an aqua print waistband piece. Join waistband pieces along upper curved edge. Clip curves, turn right side out, and press.
2. Position raw ends of apron ties on waistband just below seam. Fold waistband along seam with right sides together (Diagram 12). Sew through all layers with 1/2-inch seam allowance. Turn waistband and ties right side out; press. Topstitch waistband 1/4-inch from finished edges.
3. With wrong sides together, sew waistband to apron.
Make and Add Pocket
1. Baste 1-3/4-x-6-1/2-inch interfacing strip on wrong side of aqua print upper pocket's straight edge. With wrong sides together, join straight edges of upper and lower pocket pieces. With the bias strip right side down, pin and stitch brown print 7-inch-long bias strip to joined pocket edges (Diagram 4). Press upper pocket and bias strip away from lower pocket.
2. Fold and stitch bias around seam allowance as in Assemble Apron Body, Step 7.
3. Fold pieced pocket in half with right sides together. Sew together, leaving an opening along one side. Clip corners and curves, turn right side out, and press. Slipstitch opening closed.
4. Fold 1-1/4-x-19-inch bias strip in half lengthwise. Sew together along long edges to make a tube, then turn right side out and press. Join center of tube to center of apron pocket (Diagram 5). Tie tube into bow.
5. Referring to pattern for placement, pin pocket to apron. Edgestitch pocket to apron.