- With right sides together, layer a solid blue 13 X 17" rectangle and a black-and-white print 13 X 17" rectangle. Center 12-3/4 X 16-3/4" batting rectangle on top; pin all layers together. Sew around three sides, leaving one short edge (the bottom) open. Turn right side out; press.
- Turn raw edges of Step 1 unit 1/4" to wrong side. Machine-stitch 1/8" from edges to close opening and make a bag panel. Quilt bag panel as desired. We machine-quilted parallel lines 3/4" apart (Diagram 1).
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make and quilt a second bag panel.
- Referring to Diagram 2, sew together six assorted novelty print 2-1/2 X 7" rectangles along long edges to make a pocket rectangle. Press seams open to reduce bulk.
- With right sides together, layer pocket rectangle and solid blue 7 X 13" rectangle. Center 6-3/4 X 12-3 X 4" batting rectangle on top; pin all layers together. Sew around three sides, leaving one long edge (the bottom) open, to create pocket panel. Turn right side out; press.
- Quilt pocket panel as desired. We machine-quilted an all-over stipple.
- Topstitch 1/8" from top edge of panel for added durability.
Piece black-and-white stripe 2 X 42" strips to make one long strip. Fold strip in half lengthwise, wrong side inside; press. Open up strip, then turn in raw edges to meet at center fold line (Diagram 3). Re-fold along center fold line and press. Stitch 1/8" away from long, double-fold edge. Cut prepared strip into two straps/drawstrings of equal lengths. (Optional: Cut a 6"-long name tag strap from prepared strip; set aside. Cut remaining prepared strip into two straps/drawstrings.)
- Fold solid blue 3 X 12-1/2" rectangle in half lengthwise, right side inside. Sew along long edges and turn right side out. Tuck raw ends 1/4" to the inside; press. Topstitch ends closed to make a casing rectangle. Repeat to make a second casing rectangle.
- Position a casing rectangle on lining side of each bag panel with casing top edge 1" from top of bag panel and casing centered across panel width. Sew through all layers 1/8" from each long edge of casing rectangle, backstitching at each end of stitching for added durability (Diagram 4).
- Using permanent fabric pen, write child's name in center of solid white 2 X 3" rectangle.
- Sew red-and-orange dot 1 X 3" strips to long edges of solid white rectangle. Add red-and-orange dot 1 X 3" strips to remaining edges to make name tag front as shown. Press all seams toward strips.
- With right sides together, layer name tag front and red-and-orange dot 3 X 4" rectangle; pin together. Sew around three sides, leaving one short edge open (the side that will be attached to the name tag strap). Turn right side out; press.
- Slip 2-1/4 X 3-1/4" interfacing rectangle inside name tag. Tuck raw edges of open end under interfacing; insert 6"-long strap about 1/2", then press to fuse all layers together. Using jeans needle, topstitch 1/8" from edges and 1/8" from seam between solid white and red-and-orange dot to make name tag.
Continued on page 3: Finish Backpack