- Fold the blue floral 15-1/2 x 20-1/2-inch rectangle in half to form a 15-1/2 x 10-1/4-inch rectangle. Sew the side seams, leaving a 6-inch opening in one seam for turning. At the bottom of each side seam, clip the seam allowance just to the stitching line so you can press the seam allowances open.
- Shape a flat bottom for the lining as in Assemble the Bag Body. Leave the lining wrong side out.
- Knot each end of the 5-inch-long elastic cord. Bend the cord into a U shape and center it on the right side of the bag back with the knotted ends 1 inch apart (see Diagram 6); baste.
- Insert the bag body inside the bag lining with right sides together; the strap and elastic loop should be between the bag and lining. Align raw edges and seams. Stitch together the top raw edges of the bag body and lining, backstitching over the strap ends and the elastic loop ends for reinforcement.
- Turn the bag right side out through the opening in the lining. Note: This can be tricky because the bag body is backed with heavyweight interfacing; first pull out the straps, then carefully work the bag body out through the opening.
- Pull the lining out of the bag and stitch the opening closed. Insert the lining back into the bag and press the top edge, rolling the seam allowances toward the lining and being careful not to touch the iron to the elastic cord. Topstitch 1/4 inch from the folded edge, leaving the elastic loop free.
- Pull the elastic loop to the front and mark the desired button location. Sew the button to the bag front to complete the bag.
Designer: Linda Turner Griepentrog