Download the free diagrams for this project (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
- Referring to the Bag Body Assembly Diagram, lay out the 20 assorted print 1-1/2 x 6-inch strips.
- Sew together the strips; press the seam allowances in one direction. Trim the pieced strips to measure 5-1/2 x 20-1/2-inches to make the pieced inset.
- Cover the cording with the solid lime green 1-1/2 x 42-inch strip. Trim the covered cording seam allowance to 1/4 inch. Cut the cording to make two 20-1/2-inch-long pieces.
- Aligning the raw edges, baste the cording pieces to the long edges of the pieced inset (see Diagram 1); use a zipper foot to stitch close to the cording.
- Join the mottled turquoise 5-1/2 x 20-1/2-inch rectangles to the piped long edges of the pieced inset (see the Bag Body Assembly Diagram). Use a zipper foot to stitch just inside the previous stitching line and as close to the cording as possible. Press the seam allowances toward the pieced inset. The pieced rectangle should measure 15-1/2 x 20-1/2 inches, including the seam allowances.
- Following the manufacturer's instructions, fuse the interfacing 15-1/2 x 20-1/2-inch rectangle to the wrong side of the Step 5 pieced rectangle.
- Fold the interfaced, pieced rectangle in half to create a 15-1/2 x 10-1/4-inch rectangle. Sew the two side seams (see Diagram 2). At the bottom of each side seam, clip the seam allowance just to the stitching line so you can press the seam allowances open.
- To shape a flat bottom for the bag, center the side seam line against the bag bottom, creating a flattened triangle. Referring to Diagram 3, measure and mark on the seam allowance 1-1/2 inches from the point of the triangle. Draw a 3-inch-long line across the triangle, and sew on the drawn line. Trim the excess fabric. Repeat at the remaining bottom corner to make the bag body. Turn the bag body right side out.
- Abut the short edges of the two 2-7/8 x 22-inch interfacing strips and zigzag-stitch them. Trim the pieced strips to measure 2-7/8 x 35 inches to make the strap interfacing.
- Center the strap interfacing on the wrong side of the mottled turquoise 3-1/2 x 35-inch strip; fuse. Layer the fused mottled turquoise strip with the blue floral 3-1/2 x 35-inch strip (see Diagram 4). Sew together the strips' long edges. Turn right side out and press flat; topstitch 1/4 inch from the long edges to make the strap.
- Referring to Diagram 5, pin one end of the strap to the bag body, centering the width across one side seam. Baste 1/4 inch from the raw edges. Repeat with the remaining strap end.
Continued on page 3: Complete the Bag