No one will know how little effort it took to make this playful yet sophisticated purse. Zipper installation is foolproof, says designer Elizabeth Bailey; stitching it up and adding a cord is a breeze as well.
While you're at it, make two or three. Pick coordinating fabrics from your stash. Or, to match a special outfit, use pieces left over from garment construction or from shortening a hem. It's couture accessorizing without the high-fashion cost.
- 1/4 yard large floral (bag)
- 1/8 yard aqua stripe (bag)
- 1/4 yard lime green print (bag lining)
- 2 7-inch-long zippers
- Embroidery floss: 1 skein each chartreuse and rose and 2 skeins bright green (strap) or 2 yards 3/16-inch-diameter cord
- 2 1/4-inch-diameter beads (optional)
- Decorative frog (optional)
Finished Size: 6 x 7 3/4 inches
Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide fabrics. Measurements include 1/2-inch seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the following order.
- 1 8-3/4-x-7-inch rectangle
- 1 5-3/4-x-7-inch rectangle
- 1 3-1/2-x-7-inch rectangle
- 2 8-1/2-x-7-inch lining rectangles
Continued on page 2: Assemble the Bag