Gray-and-Orange Pocket Bag
Urban dwellers and busy moms alike will appreciate the functional features of this two-tone Ultrasuede bag.
continue reading below
- Cut two 13-inch-square front and back panels from gray imitation suede. Cut two 6 s 13-inch side pieces from orange imitation suede. Cut one large tote bottom panel from gray imitation suede using the pattern.
- Cut one large pocket, one large pocket flap, one cell phone pocket, and one cell phone pocket flap from gray imitation suede. Cut matching lining pieces from orange imitation suede.Cut shoulder-style carry handles referring to Cut the Fabrics in the General Instructions.
- Matching raw edges, sew the pockets and flaps to the lining pieces; leave an opening along one side edge of each piece. Turn pockets and flaps right side out; press. Turn under the remaining raw edge 1/2 inch; press all four sides flat with an iron. Topstitch 3/8 inches from each edge. Edgestitch the sides and bottom edges of the pocket flap.
- Space the pockets 1-1/2 inches apart and 4 inches below the top of the bag. Make a mark 1/2 inch above the top of the pocket for flap placement.
- Edgestitch the pockets to the bag. Backtack the top edge of the pockets at the sides to secure. Sew the pocket flaps using a French seam. To create a French seam, place the flap upside down with the top edge of the flap set 1/2 inch above the pocket, with the right side of the flap facing down. Stitch 1/2 inch from the raw edge of the flap to the body of the tote. Turn the flap down and press it flat with an iron. Topstitch 3/8 inch from the top edge of the flap, hiding the raw edge. Edgestitch along the top of the flap.
- Sew one side panel to each front edge; sew the back panel to the side panel edges. Press the seams open.
- Follow steps 1 and 2, then steps 4 through 8 of Assemble the Basic Tote in the General Instructions.