Bold, vibrant prints are perfect for this retro apron.
Width at waistband: 25 inches
Length: 23 inches
Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Unless otherwise specified, measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order.
The large apron pattern will print on 6 sheets of paper. Cut out the pattern and place in the order appearing in the small diagram on the printout.
1. To sew darts in apron piece, match up dashed lines, then stitch. Press darts toward center front.
2. Using 1/2-inch seam allowance, join large dot 6-1/2-x-42-inch and 6-1/2-x-10-inch ruffle strips along one short edge to make one long ruffle strip.
3. Machine-zigzag-stitch one long edge of ruffle strip. Place rickrack on right side of fabric along stitched edge. Sew through center of rickrack. Fold edge of fabric and rickrack to wrong side; press. Topstitch 3/16 inch from folded edge through all layers (Diagram 1).
4. Referring to Assemble Apron Body on page 24, steps 4 and 5, gather one long edge of ruffle strip and sew to bottom of apron.
5. Center rickrack over seam between ruffle and apron body. Sew through center of rickrack using matching thread.
6. Turn under 1/4 inch twice on each side edge of apron and ruffle; press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge.
1. Turn under 1/4 inch twice on each long edge of blue large print 3-1/2-x-30-inch strips, press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge.
2. Fold hemmed strip in half lengthwise and sew across one end. Clip point. Press seam to one side. Turn right side out and press seam in center of hemmed strip. Sew across resulting triangle.
1. Place interfacing on wrong side of a large dot waistband piece; stitch in place close to raw edges.
2. Aligning edge of rickrack with raw edges of interfaced waistband piece, join rickrack to upper and lower edges of right side (Diagram 2).
3. Turn under 1/4 inch on bottom edge of remaining waistband piece; press.
4. Sew waistband pieces together along upper curved edge; clip curves.
5. Join the waistband edge with rickrack to apron (Diagram 3). (Waistband should extend 1/2 inch beyond each apron edge.) Press seam toward waistband.
6. Position raw ends of apron ties on waistband just below seam. Fold waistband on seam with right sides together. Sew through all layers with 1/2-inch seam allowance (even with finished side edges of apron). Turn waistband and ties right side out; press.
7. Topstitch waistband 1/4 inch from edges.