Easy Floral Tote
Made in minutes, these sturdy floral totes are as practical as they are lovely.
continue reading below
- From the bag fabric cut one 18x24-1/2-inch piece and two 3-1/2x26-inch pieces. From contrasting fabric, cut an 18x5-1/2-inch piece. From lining fabric, cut an 18x29-inch piece. These measurements include a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
- Stitch together the 18x24-1/2-inch bag fabric piece and the 18x5-1/2-inch contrasting fabric piece to make the bag body. Fold in half crosswise. Mark the bottom fold on each side. Mark 3 inches from the fold in both directions on both sides. With right sides together, refold the bag on the 3-inch marks. The bottom fold will be 3 inches above the outer folds. Sew the side seams through all layers. Turn right side out; press.
- For handles, fold the long edges of each 3-1/2x26-inch bag fabric piece over 1/2 inch; press. Fold in half lengthwise and topstitch to make handles. Pin the handles to the wrong side of the front and back, 5 inches in from the side seams; baste.
- Fold the lining in half crosswise. Mark the bottom fold on each side. Mark 3 inches from the fold in both directions on both sides. With right sides together, refold the lining on the 3-inch marks. The bottom fold will be 3 inches above the outer folds. Sew the side seams through all layers, leaving an opening in one side seam for turning; do not turn.
- Insert the bag into the lining with right sides together. Match side seams, keeping handles free and tucked between the lining and outer fabric. Stitch the lining to the bag around the top edge. Turn the bag right side out through the lining opening. Press the lining to the inside of the bag. Stitch the lining opening closed.
- Center and stitch or fuse (according to the manufacturer's directions) a doily or applique motif to the contrasting fabric. Stitch decorative buttons to the doily or applique.