Make Cozy Eye Pillows
Fill a soft plush eye mask with relaxing flaxseed and aromatic herbs. Cool it in the freezer or heat it in the microwave and enjoy!
Upload your photo here.
Add a Natural Filler: Basic Mix
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup flaxseed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dried lavender buds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried peppermint leaves (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried rose petals (optional)
- 1 to 4 drops lavender oil (depending on desired strength of fragrance)
Add a Natural Filler: Custom Mix
- Sassy Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed, lavender buds, dried rose petals, dried peppermint leaves, and a few drops lavender oil
- Soothing Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed
- Calming Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed, lavender buds, dried peppermint leaves, and a few drops lavender oil
- Sleepytime Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed, lavender buds, dried chamomile leaves, dried rose petals, and a few drops lavender oil
4-1/4 X 8-1/4" and 4-1/2 X 9-1/4"
Quantities are for 58/59"-wide fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances.
Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Your Fabrics
-- Pattern A is for a medium-size eye pillow.
-- Pattern B is for a large-size eye pillow (cheetah and blue eye pillows). Be sure to transfer the dots (matching points) marked on the patterns to the templates, then to the fabric pieces.
From knit-back fleece, cut:
2 of Pattern A or B
How to Make It
Place Pattern A or B template on fabric, wrong side up, matching pattern grain line with lengthwise grain of fabric. (This ensures that the nap of the fabric will lie in the same direction.)
Use fine-point permanent marking pen to trace pattern onto fabric (Diagram 1). Cut out fabric shapes just inside drawn lines.
Assemble Your Pillow
- Set stitch length at 2.5 to 3.0 mm (about 8 to 10 stitches per inch); pin pair together and sew, leaving an opening for turning between dots, as shown on pattern.
- Clip seam allowances on curved areas (Diagram 2). Turn to right side.
- Insert end of a small funnel into eye-pillow opening. Using selected filler (see Eye-Pillow Filler), fill eye pillow to desired level. Do not overfill. Hand-sew opening closed with a tightly stitched seam.
About Eye-Pillow Fillers 101
- Dried herbs are readily available in bulk at many grocery and natural foods stores.
- One cup flaxseed may be used on its own as a filler for the pillow. Adding more flaxseed to any mixture provides more "weight" when the pillow rests on the eyes, which some may find very soothing.
- Grind dried herbs using a mortar and pestle (or food processor) to make a fine-grade filler. DO NOT grind flaxseed.
- To prevent herbs from scattering when filling eye pillow, use a funnel and hold the pillow over a container or bowl.
- Experiment with different herbs and combinations of herbs--jasmine, hops, lemon balm, spearmint, rosemary, or marjoram.
- You can heat the eye pillow in the microwave (1/2 to 1 minute) or cool it in the freezer for at least 2 hours for added relief.
- To maintain the scent longer, store eye pillows in a resealable plastic bag. Herb-filled eye masks can retain their scent for at least six months.