What You Need:
- 3/4 yard of cream chenille for exterior
- 7/8 yard of black cotton duck for lining 1-5/8 yards of black vinyl piping
- 6 inch piece of black grosgrain ribbon
- 1/4 yard of black felted wool
- Liquid seam sealant
- 1-1/3 yards of Timtex interlining fabric
- 2 silver buckles
- Cut one 7 x 14 inches front pocket piece from cream chenille and one 7 x 13-inch front pocket lining piece from black cotton duck. Cut two 13-inch square front and back panel pieces and two 6 x 13-inch side panel pieces from cream chenille. Cut large tote lining according to the pattern in General Instructions.
- Measure and mark the center of the 7 x 14-inch cream chenille front pocket piece and cut in half to make two pocket panels. Sandwich a 7-inch-long piece of black vinyl piping between the two panels and sew with a zipper foot. Baste a 13-inch-long piece of black vinyl piping to the top edge of the pocket panel. Sew the lining to the pocket top, then baste the pocket to the bag front along the sides and bottom. Hand-stitch the pocket center to the bag front.
- Machine-embroider a name to a black grosgrain ribbon. Adjust the size of the lettering to fit on a short length of the ribbon (ribbon shown is 2-1/2 inches long). Fold the raw edges of the ribbon under and topstitch the ribbon to the center of the bag front 2-1/2 inches below the top edge.
- Cut two 2 x 26-inches pieces from black felted wool for handles. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together, meeting the edges at the center; press. Fuse or glue in place. Cut a V shape along each end; apply seam sealant to each cut end. Edgestitch on all sides of each strap. Attach a silver buckle to the ends of the front strap, approximately 1-1/2 inches from the ends.
- Sew one side panel to each front edge, then sew the back panel to the side panel edges.
- Beginning at the top of one of the side panels, baste piping to the top edge of the bag. Use a zipper foot to sew the piping to the top of the bag, beginning 1-1/2 inches from one end and ending 3 inches from the opposite end. Open piping cover and abut piping end to end; replace cover and stitch the piping ends in place.
- Pin both handles to the front of the bag, spacing them approximately 5 inches apart and 3-1/2 inches from the top edge of the bag. Topstitch the handles to the bag.
- Complete the bag by following steps 4 through 8 of Assemble the Basic Tote in the General Instructions.