For a durable and stylish tote, pair cotton canvas with a classic black print.
3/4 yard black print (handles, bag bottom, piping)
1/2 yard tan-and-black canvas print (bag front and back, facing)
7/8 yard tan tone-on-tone (lining)
1-1/4 yards fusible fleece, such as Pellon #987F
1/2 yard fusible web
1/4 yard heavyweight stiff interfacing, such as Timtex (bag bottom)
Denim needle for sewing machine
Finished bag: 15-1/2x15x6-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton quilting fabrics and 55/56"-wide cotton canvas.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Cut tan tone-on-tone 18-3/4x22-1/2" rectangles with 22-1/2" length parallel to the selvages.
From black print, cut:
From tan-and-black canvas print, cut:
From tan tone-on-tone, cut:
From fusible fleece, cut:
From fusible web, cut:
From interfacing, cut:
1. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse a fleece 3x22" strip to wrong side of each black print 3x22" strip.
2. Sew together long edges of a Step 1 strip to make a handle (Diagram 1). Turn handle right side out and press, centering seam on underside. Repeat to make a second handle.
3. Topstitch with three evenly spaces lines of stitching on each handle.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, lay a black print 6-3/4x22-1/2" rectangle right side down atop Step 2 unit. Align a long edge with piping edge; stitch through all layers. Finger-press rectangles open, pressing seam toward black print rectangle. Topstitch 1/8" from seam to make bag front.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make bag back.
6. To shape a flat bottom for bag body, at one corner match bottom seam line to side seam line, creating a flattened triangle (Diagram 6). Measure and mark on seam allowance 3-1/4" from point of triangle. Draw a 6-1/2"-long line across triangle, and sew on drawn line. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Repeat at remaining bottom corner. Turn bag body right side out.
1. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse a fleece 18-3/4x22-1/2" rectangle to wrong side of each tan tone-on-tone 18-3/4x22-1/2" rectangle.
2. Sew together side and bottom edges of fused rectangles. Using tip of iron, carefully press seams open to make bag lining.
3. Shape a flat bottom for bag lining as in Assemble Bag Body, Step 6. Leave lining wrong side out.
1. Sew together short ends of two tan-and-black canvas print 1-3/4x22-1/2" strips to make a circle.
2. Fold under 1/4" along one edge of circle. Stitch 1/8" from folded edge to make facing.
3. Insert bag lining into bag body with wrong sides together and raw edges aligned; handles should be on outside of bag. Slide facing over bag body, aligning raw edges; stitch through all layers (Diagram 8).
4. Turn facing to lining side. Hand-stitch folded edge of facing to bag lining.
5. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse a fusible web 7-1/2x15-1/2" rectangle to wrong side of each tan tone-on-tone 7-1/2x15-1/2" rectangle. Remove paper backings. Fuse a prepared rectangle to each side of interfacing 6-1/4x14-3/4" rectangle. Let cool, then trim fabric edges close to interfacing to make bag bottom. Insert bag bottom into bag to complete bag.