1. Saw the eraser end off two pencils. Hot-glue the pencils to one side of the wood piece as shown in the photo, above. Let the glue dry.
2. Place the rubber bands over the wood, parallel to the pencils. Place rubber bands over the wood piece in the opposite direction, so they rest on the pencils. To make sounds, pluck or strum the top layer of rubber bands.
What You Need for the Shaker:
- 1 cup uncooked popcorn, rice, or dried beans
- Tall stacked-chip container with lid
- Packing tape
- Ice pick
- Jute rope
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
- Colored rubber bands
- Thin, colored metallic wire
- Wire cutters
1. Place popcorn, rice, or dried beans in the container. Tape the lid to the container. Using an ice pick, poke a hole in the lid. Begin wrapping the jute around and around, gluing as you work. Continue wrapping the lid, sides, and bottom of the container until covered. Clip the jute and glue the end to secure.
2. To make rubber band bows, group a dozen rubber bands. Wrap the center with a 6-inch length of wire to secure. Make three bows. Glue the bows to one side of the shaker.