What You Need:
- 11/43 cup brown sugar
- 11/44 cup orange juice
- 11/42 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon amaretto or 11/42 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 ripe medium pears
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups warm Crème Anglaise
- 11/43 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Fresh mint leaves
1. In a large skillet stir together brown sugar, orange juice, and nutmeg. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is melted. Bring to boiling; gently boil 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to half. Stir in amaretto. Set aside.
2. Peel pears, leaving stems on. Core pears from bottoms. In a medium saucepan bring 3 cups water and granulated sugar to boiling. Carefully add pears, stem ends up. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove saucepan from heat and let pears cool in liquid.
3. Transfer pears to individual serving dishes. Pour warm Crème Anglaise around pears. Drizzle caramel-orange mixture over pears. Sprinkle with almonds and garnish with fresh mint leaves. Makes 6 servings.
4. Crème Anglaise: In a heavy saucepan bring 11/43 cups whipping cream and 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, just to boiling, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. In a mixing bowl combine small amount of hot cream mixture, 2 egg yolks, and 21/43 cup sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually stir about half of remaining cream mixture into egg yolk mixture. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just to boiling. Remove from heat. Discard vanilla bean. If desired, stir in 1 tablespoon amaretto or orange liqueur. Makes 2 cups.