4 sc and 4 rows = 1 inch with size G hook. To ensure proper size, be sure to check your gauge.
1. With size G hook and color A, ch 43.
2. All rows: 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across-42 sc. Ch 1, turn. Cont to work in sc for 21 rows more.
3. Work in stripe pat alternating colors A and B as follows: 2 rows B, 20 rows A, 4 rows B, 18 rows A, 6 rows B, 16 rows A, 8 rows B, 14 rows A, 10 rows B, 12 rows A, 12 rows B, 10 rows A, 14 rows B, 8 rows A, 16 rows B, 6 rows A, 18 rows B, 4 rows A, 20 rows B, 2 rows A, 22 rows B. Fasten off.
4. Fringe: Wind a single strand of yarn around a 5" piece of cardboard. Cut at one end, making 10"-long strands. Using 5 strands per fringe, fold strands of yarn in half to form a loop, insert loop through front to back of work, drawing loop through, bring ends through loop and tighten. Along colored edge A of scarf, attach 13 color-B fringes: 1 fringe at each corner and the rem 11 evenly spaced across. Along colored edge B of scarf, attach 13 A fringes: 1 fringe at each corner and the rem 11 evenly spaced across. Trim fringe evenly.
1. Crown: With size G hook and color A, ch 3; join with sl st to form ring.
2. Rnd 1: Ch 1, 8 sc in ring. Mark end of rnd and cont to move marker on each rnd.
3. Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc-16 sc.
4. Rnd 3: * 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around-24 sc.
5. Rnd 4: * 1 sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around-32 sc.
6. Rnd 5: * 1 sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around-40 sc.
7. Rnd 6: 1 sc in each sc around.
8. Rnds 7-11: Continue in sc, inc 9 sc evenly spaced on each rnd-85 sc. Work even in sc until hat measures 7 inches from center of crown.
9. Brim: Next rnd: 1 sc in first sc, * 1 sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around-106 sc. Work even in sc for 2 inches more. Change to size F hook. Working from left to right, sc in each sc around for reverse sc; join with sl st. Fasten off.