The Patriotic Table Runner
Stand up and cheer for this red, white, and blue version of the "Convent Quilt."
What You'll Need
- 1/2 yard of dark blue print for setting squares
- 1/2 yard of red print for blocks and binding
- 1/4 yard of light tan print for blocks
- 3/4 yard of backing fabric
- 27-x-40-inch square of quilt batting
- Finished table runner top: 33 3/4 x 20 1/4 inches
Cut the Fabrics
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows.
From the dark blue print, cut:
- 8 7-1/4-inch squares for setting
From the red print, cut:
- 3 2-3/4-x-42 inch strips
- 2 2-1/2-x-42-inch binding strips
From the light tan print, cut:
- 3 2-3/4-x-42-inch strips
1. Make one strip set A by sewing two red print 2-3/4-x-42-inch strips to a light tan 2-3/4-x-42-inch print strip. Cut the strip into fourteen 2-3/4-inch-wide segments.
2. Make one strip set B by sewing two light tan print 2-3/4-x-42-inch strips to a red print 2-3/4-x-42-inch strip. Cut the strip set into seven 2-3/4-inch segments.
3. Sew together two strips set A segments and one strip set B segment to make a Nine-Patch block. The pieced Nine-Patch block should measure 7 1/4 inches square, including the seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of seven Nine-Patch blocks.
Assemble the Table Runner
1. Lay out the seven Nine-Patch blocks and the eight dark blue print 7-1/4-inch setting squares in three horizontal rows.
2. Join the blocks and setting squares in each row. Press the seam allowances toward the setting squares. Then sew together the rows to make the table runner top. Press the seam allowances in one direction.
Complete the Table Runner
Layer the table runner top, batting, and backing according to the instructions in Quilter's Schoolhouse. Quilt as desired. In this quilt, the square pieces in each block were outline-quilted by machine. The setting squares were quilted with red thread and a meandering squiggles and stars pattern. Use the red print 2-1/2-x-42-inch strips to bind the quilt according to the instructions in Quilter's Schoolhouse.