Some books are meant for reading. This one's for play!
The kids who receive this colorful book of fun will beg to go on long car trips! Within its travel-themed covers is an assortment of favorite pastimes, including tic-tac-toe, checkers, coloring supplies, and a word game.
See below for complete instructions.
1. Download the free patterns for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat.)
2. Open the binder flat on tracing paper. Draw around the binder; add 1/4 inch to all edges. This is the cover pattern. Cut two covers from felt, one dark blue (outer) and one orange (inner). Glue the dark blue cover on top of a piece of lime felt, allowing at least 1/4 inch of felt all around. Use pinking shears to cut out the cover, leaving a 1/8-inch lime border.
3. Measure the width of the binder's spine; cut away (and discard) this measurement from the center of the orange cover. The two pieces left are the inner covers.
4. Cut the ribbon in half. Center and glue one end of each ribbon to the lime side of outer cover as shown.
5. Glue each orange inner cover to the lime side of the outer cover at the top, bottom, and ribboned edges, creating pockets where you will insert the binder.
6. To cover around the metal rings, cut a piece of lime felt the height of binder plus 1/2 inch by the width of spine plus 1/2 inch. Cut the piece in half lengthwise. Tuck and glue each half behind the rings, wrapping 1/4 inch of the felt at the top and bottom around binder.
7. Fold back the binder flaps; slip them into pockets. Lay binder open. Glue the pocket openings closed.
8. Trace the patterns (pdf) onto tracing paper. Cut out the patterns from felt scraps. Also cut out assorted shapes, such as squares and rectangles for buildings and ovals and long squiggles for bodies of water. Decorate the binder cover and add small pockets to the inner covers, referring to the photos for ideas. Glue the pieces in place.
Note: Create tic-tac-toe and checkers games on separate boards or on the front and back of the same board. For a separate board, use dark blue and gold felt.
To play the game, ask one player to select 10 or more pieces from the pouch. Then assign a specific amount of time for creating a sentence from the pieces. Award a point for each piece used. The first person to reach a certain number of points is the winner.