Birthday Girl Place Mat and Napkin
Make the birthday girl feel special with her very own table accessories for her big day. This place mat and napkin are easy to make using screen-printing materials and tools from Plaid's Simply Screen.
Upload your photo here.
Designed by Cathie Filian
What you'll need:
- One fabric place mat and napkin
- Plaid Simply Screen pattern #98591 Birthday Girl
- Plaid Simply Screen paint #98525 French Roast, #98503 Banana Peel, #98510 Oasis, #98512 Pink Pony
- Painter's tape
- Jem glue
- Seed beads
- Needle and thread
- Clear glitter
- Pom-pom trim
- Small paintbrush
- Scrap ribbons (8 inches long)
For the place mat:
- Following manufacturer's instructions, position the Birthday Girl pattern in the top corner of the place mat. Tape off the cupcake portion of the design with painter's tape. Squirt a 1/2 inch wide line of Oasis paint across the top of the screen. Drag the paint over the screen using a squeegee. Lift the screen and rinse it. Allow the paint to dry. Tape off the words and cake portion of the design, and repeat the printing process. Using French Roast paint, screen the cupcake liner. Tape off the words and cupcake liner, and using Banana Peel paint, screen the cake portion of the cupcake.
- Sew pom-pom trim around the edge of the place mat. Add highlights to the design by gluing on rhinestone gems, adding glitter, and hand-sewing seed beads.
For the napkin:
- Position the cupcake pattern in the corner of the napkin. Tape off the cupcake liner portion. Squirt a 1/2 inch wide line of Banana Peel paint across the top of the screen. Drag the paint over the screen using a squeegee. Lift the screen and rinse it. Allow the paint to dry. Tape off the cake portion of the screen, and repeat the printing process using French Roast paint for the cupcake liner. Using a small paintbrush, hand-paint the cherry with Pink Pony and the stem with French Roast.
- Add highlights to the design by gluing on rhinestone gems, adding glitter, and hand-sewing seed beads.
For the ribbon napkin ring:
- Sew scrap ribbons together to create a strip about 8 inches wide and 3 inches high. Sew pom-pom trim to the outer edges. Fold in half (right sides together) and sew the seam closed. Turn right side out, sew ends together to form a ring, and slip over a napkin.