Kids' Creative Stepping-Stone
Remember a special vacation with a cool stepping-stone for your garden.
What You Need:
- Have on hand: newspapers, paper towels, vegetable oil, and pastry brush
- Rubber gloves
- Cake pan or store-bought molds
- Plaster mix
- Disposable bucket
- Powdered paint mixes
- Disposable paint stirrers
- Acrylic paints (optional)
- Paintbrushes (optional)
- Spread a layer of newspapers on the floor or ground for protection. Put on rubber gloves.
- Brush the bottom of the cake pan or mold lightly with vegetable oil.
- Pour dry plaster mix into the bucket (start with about 2 cups).
- Add the powdered paint to achieve the desired color. About 1/2 cup will create an intense color; use less for a lighter shade.
- Stir in water until the mixture is the consistency of thick pancake batter.
- Pour the plaster mixture into the cake pan or mold. Using a paint stirrer, spread the mixture until level. Lightly tap the pan to shake out air bubbles.
- Press shells, rocks, or other memorabilia you wish to save into the wet plaster.
- Allow to set at least 24 hours.
- Carefully turn the mold upside down and tap gently until the set plaster pops out.
- Decorate with acrylic paint if desired.