Puppets from the Garden
Buzz through the garden with these cute crafted creatures.
What You Need:
- Two 1-1/2-inch-diameter foam balls
- Red glitter glue
- Red and black crafts foam
- Gray netting
- Red chenille stem
- Hot-glue gun, glue sticks
- Two child's cloth gardening gloves: one gray, one
- Two large and two small black pom-poms
- Two white pom-poms
- Blue glitter glue
- Blue sequins
- Blue and green craft foam
- Blue and green netting
- Blue metallic chenille stem
- Small scrap of yellow crafts foam for mouth
- Cut a foam ball in half. Cover the rounded sides with red glitter glue for eyes; set aside.
- Cut the body, wings, and mouth out of crafts foam. (Use photo as a guide)
- Cut several layers of wings out of gray netting.
- For the antennae, with a pencil poke two small holes in the body near where the eyes will be positioned. Fold red chenille stem in half. From the bottom, push the stem ends up through the holes. Shape into antennae.
- With an adult's help, hot-glue the flat side of foam body to the back of gray glove so that the glove's fingers/legs extend beyond the face.
- Hot-glue the front of the foam wings in place. Carefully glue the ends of the netting wings under the foam wings, bunching the layers together so that they lift up the foam wings.
- Hot-glue black pom-poms to the ladybug wings.
- Hot-glue red eyes in place. Cut circles from black crafts foam for pupils. Top red eyes with white pom-poms and black pupils. Hot-glue mouth in place.
- Cut a foam ball in half. Cover the rounded sides with blue glitter glue. Push sequins into the wet glue for eyes; set aside.
- Using appropriate colors, follow Ladybug directions steps 2 to 6. Finish the Fly by hot-gluing the sequin-covered foam eyes in place, hot-gluing the mouth in place, and touching up the wings with glitter glue (see the photo).