Garden Gate Welcome
Make a lasting impression with cement and your handprints.
What You Need:Handprints are a unique way to set your garden a part this summer.
- Quikrete quick-setting cement
- 11-5/8 x 9-1/4 x 2-1/2-inch foil pan
- Small pebbles
- Drill and a drill bit (large enough to accommodate the poly rope)
- Acrylic paints: white, orange, yellow, pink, and green
- Water-based, nontoxic Delta Ceramcoat gloss exterior varnish for indoor and outdoor use
- Sponge brush
- Yellow twisted poly rope
1. Mix the cement according to the manufacturer's directions, adding water until it is the consistency of cream. There will be enough for two decorations. Pour half of the cement mixture into the foil pan. (Ask an adult for help preparing the cement)
2. Place the prepared pan on the floor. Press your hands into the cement to make an imprint. Push pebbles into the cement around the edge. Let the cement dry. Remove the dried plaque from the pan.
3. Drill two holes at the top corners of the plaque. Paint the surface white and let dry. Paint handprints and rocks in bright colors and add a name, date, or message. (Ask an adult to drill the holes)
4. Protect the plaque with several coats of varnish using the sponge brush. For the hanging loop, insert a length of rope into the holes and knot the ends on the back.
Better Homes & Gardens Creative Collection -- Crafts for Kids
Looking for ways to get the whole family involved for an hour, an evening, or a day of fun? Then you'll LOVE this issue of Crafts for Kids -- packed with 103 FUN projects designed to take you on a variety of adventures, from the backyard to the kitchen -- to outer space! Super kids' rooms, colorful garden decor, fabulous fashion jewelry, wild birthday parties, and much more -- let YOUR imagination fly and have some family fun!
Available now at your favorite newsstand, or call 1-888-547-2147 to order your copy!
- Cool Jewels -- Have a fashion fit with this collection of bracelets, necklaces, and sparkling toe rings!
- Room to Bloom -- Make your room blossom into a suite of pink dreams!
- Two Green Thumbs Up -- Plant seeds of fun and fancy with these breezy garden ideas!
- Let's Party Wild -- Turn your birthday into a jungle adventure!
- Outta This World -- Blast off to dreamland in a bedroom that's out of this world!
- Summer Yummies -- Take a bite of sunshine or taste a sailboat -- "cook up" all kinds of fun and silly foods to eat!