Cute Bug Catcher
Craft this cute bug catcher to corral summer bugs or other creepy crawlers so you can give them a closer look.
What You Need:
- Scissors, ruler
- 6-1/2-inch square of black fiberglass insect screening
- Wire cutters
- 22-gauge lime-green wire
- Empty plastic mayonnaise jar
- Acrylic paints: black, orange, yellow
- Wood cutouts: two 1-3/8x2-5/8-inch ovals; one 1-3/8x2-1/2-inch teardrop
- Brush-on glitter paint: black, orange, yellow
- White crafts glue
- Two 10-millimeter oval wiggle eyes
- Hot-glue gun, glue sticks
- Cut a 6-1/2-inch-diameter circle from insect screening.
- Use wire cutters to cut a 24-inch length of wire. Weave the wire through the screening about 1-inch from the edge, making the stitches about 1/2 inch long.
- Place the screen on top of the jar, and tighten the wire around the jar rim. Twist the wire ends together to secure. Coil the ends.
- Paint both sides of the wood ovals black, the rounded third of the teardrop orange, and the remaining two-thirds of the teardrop yellow to make the lightning bug wings and body. Let dry.
- Paint one side of all three wood pieces with the corresponding color glitter paint. Let dry.
- Use crafts glue to attach the wings to the body, glitter sides up. Glue wiggle eyes over the edge of the orange head. With an adult's help, hot-glue the lightning bug to the jar's side.