- Rectangle of nylon fabric (find at fabric stores)
- Water; acrylic paints; disposable plates; wide paintbrushes
- Tracing paper; pencil; scissors; sponges
- Colored paint markers; stick; colored duct tape
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Decide on the design for the flag. Lay the fabric on a work surface. Spray the fabric with water until it is wet.
3. Put a little of each paint color on a different plate. Mix with a little bit of water until the paints are runny. Paint the background colors using a wide paintbrush. Blend the colors together some if you want to. Let dry.
4. Trace the desired shapes for sponges onto tracing paper. Cut out the shapes. Trace around the patterns on sponges. Have a grown-up help cut out the sponge shapes.
5. Spread the paint color for stamping onto a plate. Soak the sponges in water and squeeze out the extra water. Dip a sponge in paint and stamp onto the fabric. Let dry.
6. Outline the shapes with colored paint markers. Let dry.
7. Paint the stick as you wish. Let dry. Lay flag on a table. Press tape around the flag edges. Tape the flag to the stick.