What You Need:
- An odd number of green, yellow, red, and orange bell peppers
- Glass votive candleholders and candles (for Votive Peppers)
- Small flowers and herbs to fill the pepper vases, such as red and purple clover, purple basil, and mint (for Pepper Vases)
- Floral scissors
- Small knife
with flat tops.
- Select peppers that are large enough to hold a glass candleholder. If the pepper is too small, it will split. Also, choose peppers with regular, squared shapes, especially on top, so the pepper won't be unsteady as a candleholder.
- The stem end of the pepper will be the base. Cut the stem so it's even with the top of the pepper, then turn the pepper over and cut 1 inch off the opposite end. Remove the seeds and membrane.
- Carefully twist a votive candleholder and candle down into the pepper.
Place a row of
pepper vases on
1. Look for odd and twisted pepper shapes to add variety. Here, you are not looking for boxy peppers, as for votive candleholders.
2. Cut the pepper in the same manner as for a votive, trimming the stem even with the top of the pepper, then cutting 1 inch of the pepper off the opposite side. If the pepper has straight sides, try cutting it lengthwise and placing it on its side. Remove the seeds and membrane.
3. Fill the pepper with water, and arrange flowers or herbs.