What You Need:Fresh or artificial flowers can be used in this striking decoration.
- 6-inch-diameter Styrofoam ball
- 6-7 dozen fresh or artificial red carnations
- Assorted fresh or artificial greens and holly with berries
- 1-1/2 to 2 yards of 1-1/2-inch-wide red satin ribbon with metallic gold trim
- Real or artificial mistletoe (optional)
- Florist's wire
- Garden shears or clippers
- Nail, stylus, or awl (to bore holes in the Styrofoam)
- Hot glue and glue gun (optional)
1. Cut the stems of the carnations about 1-1/2 to 2 inches from the base of the flowers. Discard the stems. If you're using fresh flowers, soak the stems in water for 1 to 2 hours before assembling.
2. Insert flowers into ball. Beginning at what will be the bottom of the ball, make a small hole with a nail or stylus in the Styrofoam and insert a carnation. If you're using fresh flowers, just insert the stem into the ball; if you're using artificial blooms, glue in the stem for a more permanent arrangement. Continue to add the carnations in this manner until all but the top section of the ball (about 4 inches) is covered.
3. Add greens. Clip small sprays of evergreens and holly and insert the ends into the remaining top area of the ball. If desired, include mistletoe for a more traditional kissing ball.
4. Add ribbon. Fashion a florist's bow from ribbon and secure it with wire. Cut an 8-inch length of ribbon and fold in half for a hanger. Thread the loop through the designated hanger, wrap it tightly with wire and secure it with glue to the top of the ball.
5. Keep it fresh. Mist the fresh kissing ball daily with water to keep the arrangement fresh for 5 to 7 days.
1. Soak the floral foam until saturated.
2. Add wire. Wrap chicken wire around wet floral foam. Pull the overlap of wire together with 18-gauge wire into the top of the foam through the bottom. Make a hook at the bottom and pull the wire up from the top so the hook embeds in the foam and wire. Make a hook in the wire at the top.
2. Add mistletoe and moss. Insert mistletoe stems and sphagnum moss into the foam so no foam shows. Use greening pins to secure the mistletoe.
3. Add ribbon and decorations. Tie a ribbon around the top hook; let it fall at the sides. Fasten berries and a string of glass fruit to the ball with greening pins or a hot-glue gun. Or fashion a string of green grapes and cranberries and fasten them with wire.