What You Need:
Add sparkle to the backyard with
these cheerful lanterns.
- Waxed paper
- Clean glass jar
- Dish towel
- Glass paint in colors you like
- 24-gauge colored wire in two colors
- Wire cutters
- Glass beads in assorted colors
- Needle-nose pliers
- Tealight candle
1. Cover your work area with a sheet of waxed paper to protect it. Lay the jar on its side. To keep the jar from rolling, prop up the sides with a dish towel. Paint fireflies on the top half of the jar with glass paint, using the pattern left as a guide. Don't squeeze out too much paint; it will drip down the sides of the jar.
2. When the paint is dry, roll the jar over and paint the other side.
3. Cut two 24-inch-long pieces from one color of wire. Cut one 18-inch-long piece from the second color of wire.
4. Wrap a 24-inch-long wire around the neck of the jar twice. Twist the ends together. To curl the wire, wrap the end around a pencil. Remove the pencil and thread glass beads onto the curls. Repeat for the second wire. Position the curls across from each other.
5. To make the handle, use needle-nose pliers to curl the ends of the 18-inch wire, and wrap them around the wrapped wire between the curls and the jar. Put a tealight candle inside.