These adorable stitched Santa and snowman lids are the perfect toppers for tiny Nantucket baskets.
1. Download the free patterns for this project (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
2. Center and stitch the Snowman or Santa Basket chart on the Aida cloth. Use two plies of floss to work the stitches over one square of the Aida cloth unless otherwise specified. Press the stitched piece from the back. Attach the charms, snowman nose, and small jingle bells using two plies of white floss.
3. Cut the fleece the same size as one circle of the cardboard. Spray the cardboard lightly with the adhesive and position the fleece on top. Center the stitched piece on top of the fleece- covered cardboard. Fold the fabric edges to the back of the cardboard, clipping as necessary for a smooth fit. Glue the edges of the fabric to the back of the cardboard.
4. Center the cotton fabric circle on the remaining piece of cardboard. Fold the fabric edges to the back of the cardboard, clipping as necessary for a smooth fit. Glue the edges of the fabric to the back of the cardboard.
5. For the hinges, make a diagonal cut on one end of a 3-inch length of ribbon. Thread the diagonal end of the ribbon into the large-eye needle. Insert the needle through the basket weaves under the rim. Place the fabric- covered cardboard circle on top of the basket with the fabric side down. Glue the ribbon ends to the uncovered side of the cardboard circle. Repeat for the other side of the basket.
6. Fold a 5-inch length of ribbon in half. Thread the folded end through the top of the large jingle bell. Slip the ribbon ends through the loop and pull snug against the jingle bell. Glue the jingle bell ribbon ends to the front center of the fabric-covered cardboard circle.
7. Center and glue the Aida-covered cardboard circle to the fabric-covered cardboard circle with wrong sides together. Use plastic clothespins to hold the pieces together until the glue dries. Beginning at the back center of the basket lid, glue the braid around the edges of the lid. Trim the excess braid.
Better Homes & Gardens Creative Collection Cross-Stitch Christmas®
Christmas and cross-stitch -- the two go together as naturally as Santa and his reindeer! With 52 NEW PROJECTS, the 2003 Heirloom Nativity Collection, and an EXCLUSIVE Mary Engelbreit Angel, Cross-Stitch Christmas covers the full range of yuletide needlework projects for every taste and style, from traditional to whimsical! With easy-to-follow instructions, unique color-coded charts and fast-and-simple spin-off projects, stitchers of all ages and skill levels will be inspired to make and give special gifts to friends and family!
Available now at your favorite newsstand, or call 1-888-547-2147 to order your copy!
Featured in this issue: