NOTE: Measurements include 1/4-inch seam allowance. Stitch with right sides together.
- Cut the following: ten 1-3/4-inch squares of red dotted fabric, ten 1-3/4-inch squares of yellow dotted fabric, one 3x6-3/4-inch rectangle of striped fabric, and a loop from backing fabric.
- Using embroidery floss, embroider "Sweet Treats" on the striped fabric. (Or download and follow our free pattern, below.)
- Lay out the red dotted squares, yellow dotted squares, and embroidered striped rectangle according to the diagram. Sew together the squares in rows; sew the rows to the rectangle to make the hot pad front. Stitch and baste the loop to the top left-hand corner of hot pad front.
- Line the hot pad front with batting. Layer the front and backing with right sides together; tuck the loop between the layers. Stitch around the outside edges leaving an opening for turning. Trim batting and backing to the 1/4-inch seam allowance. Trim corners; turn right side out and press. Sew opening closed and add beads.
Download the free checkerboard sewing diagram.
Download the free sewing pattern for "Sweet Treats."
- Download our free sewing pattern, below.
- Enlarge and trace pattern pieces onto fusible webbing. According to manufacturer's instructions, fuse webbing pieces to designated fabrics; cut out fabric pieces. Cut and stitch a fabric loop from backing fabric.
- Arrange the cupcake pieces according to the photo. Machine-applique around the pieces using a tight zigzag stitch and matching threads to make the hot pad front. Baste the loop to the top of the cherry.
- Line the hot pad front with batting. Layer the hot pad front and backing fabric with right sides together; stitch around the edges of the hot pad front leaving an opening for turning. Cut out the design leaving a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Clip into the seam allowance for easy turning. Turn right side out. Press and stitch opening closed. Sew on beads.
See the placement diagram for this project.
Download the free sewing pattern for the cupcake hot pad.