continue reading below
NOTE: Measurements include 1/4-inch seam allowance. Stitch with right sides together.
- Cut the following: ten 1-3/4-inch squares of red dotted fabric, ten 1-3/4-inch squares of yellow dotted fabric, one 3x6-3/4-inch rectangle of striped fabric, and a loop from backing fabric.
- Using embroidery floss, embroider "Sweet Treats" on the striped fabric. (Or download and follow our free pattern, below.)
- Lay out the red dotted squares, yellow dotted squares, and embroidered striped rectangle according to the diagram. Sew together the squares in rows; sew the rows to the rectangle to make the hot pad front. Stitch and baste the loop to the top left-hand corner of hot pad front.
- Line the hot pad front with batting. Layer the front and backing with right sides together; tuck the loop between the layers. Stitch around the outside edges leaving an opening for turning. Trim batting and backing to the 1/4-inch seam allowance. Trim corners; turn right side out and press. Sew opening closed and add beads.
What you'll need:
- 8x10-inch piece of fusible webbing; iron
- Fabric scissors
- 10-inch square of background fabric
- 5x8-inch piece of turquoise fabric
- 5x9-inch piece of yellow dotted fabric
- 6x8-inch piece of orange-and-yellow striped fabric
- 3x4-inch piece of red fabric
- Matching threads
- 10-inch square of backing fabric
- Tape measure
- Sewing needle
- Assorted glass beads
- Download our free sewing pattern, below.
- Enlarge and trace pattern pieces onto fusible webbing. According to manufacturer's instructions, fuse webbing pieces to designated fabrics; cut out fabric pieces. Cut and stitch a fabric loop from backing fabric.
- Arrange the cupcake pieces according to the photo. Machine-applique around the pieces using a tight zigzag stitch and matching threads to make the hot pad front. Baste the loop to the top of the cherry.
- Line the hot pad front with batting. Layer the hot pad front and backing fabric with right sides together; stitch around the edges of the hot pad front leaving an opening for turning. Cut out the design leaving a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Clip into the seam allowance for easy turning. Turn right side out. Press and stitch opening closed. Sew on beads.