Pom-Pom Gift Topper
Give a cheer for smashing pom-poms that make great package tie-ons. Use T-shirt yarn rather than traditional yarn to give them extra fluff.
Old T-shirt (one shirt makes one pom-pom)
Compass or dessert plate and camera lens cap (or any small disklike object)
Assemble the Pom-Pom
Trace two 6-1⁄2" circles onto cardboard using compass. Trace two 2-1⁄2" circles inside the 6-1⁄2" circles using same center point.
Note: If you don't have a compass, trace dessert plate for outer circle and camera lens cap (or substitute) for inner circle. Cut along lines using crafts knife. Cut a small wedge from each circle template.
1. Cut across front of T-shirt just below armpits; save top for a future project. Cut off bottom hemmed edge; discard strip.
2. Cut 1/2" wide strips beginning at one side seam and ending approximately 1" before opposite side seam.
3. Open uncut side seam; finger-press. Cut diagonally across seam (from strip one on right to strip two on left) to connect every other strip and make one long continuous strip.
4. Sandwich a short T-shirt strip between two cardboard circles (shown by dotted line) with a wedge cut from each circle; let tails hang. Wrap yarn strips around templates.
5. Add two more layers of strips. Tie yarn tails from sandwiched strip together in a single knot.
6. Cut wrapped strips at edge of templates using scissors. Pull tails tightly; tie into a double knot. Remove templates.
7. Sandwich pom-pom between two 4-1/2"-diameter cardboard circles. Trim pom-pom edges even; remove cardboard, and fluff pom-pom.
8. Stretch long T-shirt strip to curl under side edges. Wrap T-shirt yarn around package two or three times; knot. Tie pom-pom onto yarn.