1. Download the patterns. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Clean glasses with hot water and rinse with white vinegar. (Note: Avoid getting fingerprints on the areas to be etched.) Cut a piece of adhesive-backed paper 1 inch larger all around than the desired pattern.
3. Use carbon paper to trace the pattern onto the adhesive-backed paper and cut out shapes using a craft knife. Set the cut-out portions aside and peel the backing from the remaining piece (negative portion, or the piece with the hole left in it) of paper and place it on the glass. Some of the edges might need to be clipped to enable the paper to lay flat. Burnish (rub down) all of the edges of the paper.
4. For the cat glass: Use 1/4-inch adhesive vinyl letters to spell "meow" inside the word balloon. Use the paint pen to add details to the face. Allow the paint to dry several hours before etching.
For the sunflower glass: Use the paint pen to draw a center circle. Add a series of paint dots inside the circle for seeds. Draw petal divisions using the paint pen, using the pattern shown as a guide.
For the bee glass: Follow the instructions in Step 1-3 above.
5. Wearing rubber gloves, paint on the etching cream following the manufacturer's instructions. Allow to set, and then rinse thoroughly.
6. Peel off the Con-Tact Brand paper, paint, and/or letters. Wash the glass thoroughly before using.
- Use vinyl letters to personalize your own glasses with the initial of your last name.
- Etch the name of each family member onto a glass -- don't forget Grandma and Grandpa!