continue reading below
- Cover work surface with newspaper. Paint the cup the desired background color. Let it dry. Use a contrasting color to paint a dotted line around the rim. Let it dry.
- Use a paper punch to make a hole 1/2 inch from the rim. Make a second hole opposite the first. From the outside of the cup, insert an eyelet in each hole. Secure using an eyelet tool.
- Paint six petal shapes. Paint the apple a contrasting color the flower center. Paint the wheel the same color as the flower center and the wood bead the color of the petals. Let dry. Hot-glue the petals and flower center to the front of the cup. Let dry.
- Thread an unpainted wood bead onto a pipe cleaner that matches the flower center. Twist the pipe cleaner to secure the bead at one end. Snip off the end of the cup; from the inside push the end of the pipe cleaner through the bottom of the cup. The bead will hold it in place.
- Thread the painted wheel and bead onto the pipe cleaner. Twist the remaining stem around the pencil to curl.
- For a handle, twist two contrasting pipe cleaners together. Insert through the eyelet from the outside. Fold ends upward to secure.