continue reading below
- Gutermann of America Inc. beads as follows: 25 #9980, six-millimeter pyramid; 25 #9980, eight-millimeter iced; 60 #9980, four-millimeter faceted; 20 #9980, ten-millimeter iced; 15 #2046, six-millimeter teardrop; 25 #2046, six-millimeter faceted; 20 #2046, six-millimeter faceted; 25 #2046, three-millimeter teardrop; 15 #8940, six-millimeter pyramid; 35 #8940, six-millimeter faceted; 30 #2885, six-millimeter glass
- Wire cutter
- Size H/8 (5 millimeter) crochet hook
- #26-gauge permanently coated copper wire: 15 yards
- Needle-nose pliers or combination pliers with built-in cutter
- Toggle closure
- Divide beads into five batches of 59 beads. One batch will be used for each strand of the necklace. Cut copper wire into five 3-yard pieces.
- Tie a knot close to one end of the copper wire to prevent beads from falling off. Randomly string one batch of beads onto the wire (about 11-3/4 inches).
- Start at the opposite end of the wire. Leaving a 6-inch tail, make a slipknot, ch 4.
* Slip bead up to hook, ch 1; rep from * across for a total of 59 beads.
Ch 4 without beads. Pull wire through the remaining lp on the hook to secure. Set aside. (The chain with beads will measure about 22 inches, depending on tension.)
Repeat to make four more strands.
- To assemble the necklace, gather all strands together at one end. Twist the wire ends together tightly beyond the crochet for approx 1-1/2 inches. Trim excess wire. Thread the twisted wire through one end of the toggle closure.
- To create a wrapped loop, twist excess wire around the base below the toggle. Wrap two or three times. Cut off excess wire.
- Eliminate any sharp wire ends by crimping the wire ends tightly with the needle-nose pliers. Repeat for the other side of the toggle.