Now you have the tools ready -- so it's time to be creative!
2. Light the torch with a striker.
3. Gradually warm a glass rod by moving it slowly into the heat beyond the end of the flame. Heating the rod too abruptly causes it to break. Continue to move the rod in and out of flame, gradually moving the rod to the tip of the flame where it is hottest.
5. With the other hand hold the prepared mandrel next to the glass rod, keeping the glass rod in the flame. Just when the mandrel turns red, move the glass rod to place the red-hot ball right on top of the red-hot mandrel. Slowly rotate the mandrel away from you while holding the glass rod steady until glass is completely rolled around the mandrel.
6. Keep the mandrel in the flame and gradually pull the glass rod away. Rest the hot glass rod on the heatproof board. Continue rotating the mandrel to keep the bead shape as even as possible.
8. Swiftly return bead to flame to smooth it out more if desired.
9. When the bead is finished, allow it to cool approximately 15 seconds until it begins to change color, and then set it in a container of vermiculite. Shake some vermiculite over the bead until it is covered. Avoid stirring or pressing hard with mandrel. Allow bead to cool completely in vermiculite before removing.
NOTE: Think safety first! Read the product directions before starting. Protect your work surface with a flame-retardant mat and wear eye goggles when using MAPP gas. To protect your hands wear flame-retardant work gloves.