What You Need
- 15-x-15-inch square of cotton batting (We used Warm & Natural Cotton Batting.)
- Five tea bags and a squirt bottle
- Disappearing-ink marker
- Polyester fiberfill
- Assorted acrylic paints, including dark brown, terra-cotta, and white
- Dark brown embroidery floss
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Powder blush
- Scraps of wool felt, including brown
- Scraps of homespun fabric for bows
- 1/2-inch pom-pom
How to Make It
- Tea-Dye the Batting: To age the batting, make a tea dye using 2 cups of very hot water and five tea bags. Let the tea stand about 30 minutes. Spray one side of the batting with tea until you get the desired appearance; let dry.
- Cut and Sew the Shapes: Trace the patterns from the Pattern Pack onto tracing paper; cut out the shapes. Fold the batting in half with the dyed sides together. Use a disappearing-ink marker to trace the snowman shape onto the batting. Machine-sew on the traced lines. Trim the batting close to the stitching. Cut a slit through one layer of the batting for turning, as indicated on the pattern. Turn right side out and stuff with fiberfill. Sew the opening closed.
- Embellish the Ornaments: Paint the hats, using dark brown for the top hat and your choice of colors for the other two hats. Let the paint dry. Use two strands of dark brown floss and straight stitches to embroider "asterisk" eyes. Apply powder blush to the cheeks. For the noses, dampen a scrap of batting with water and paint both sides with terra-cotta. When the paint is dry and hardened, cut out one nose for each ornament; glue in place. Cut five small irregularly shaped circles from brown felt for each mouth; glue the circles in place. Use scraps of wool felt to complete the hats. To make a tassel, align five 1/8-x-2-inch strips. Fold them in half and wrap thread around the strips about 1/4 inch from the folded end. Trim the ends and fluff. Cut the top-hat brim pattern from brown felt. For all hats, cut 1/4- to 3/8-inch-wide hatbands from contrasting felt. Paint the pom-pom if desired; let dry. Glue all hat pieces in place.
- To add a bow, cut a 3/8-x-15-inch strip of homespun fabric. Tie a bow at the center of the strip, keep the tails at least twice as long as a bow loop. Bring the ends of the tails up, tucking them behind the center of the bow. Glue to the ornament.
- Finish the Ornaments: Attach hanging loops as desired. Dilute white paint with water to the consistency of ink and lightly spatter each ornament to resemble snow. Let the paint dry.