How to Make a Swag Wreath
Studded with red berries and topped with a big red bow, this swag is sure to become a much-loved Christmas classic. For fullness, a long-needle teardrop-shape base anchors the holiday door arrangement.
- Long-needle teardrop-shape swag with pinecones
- 2 large faux mixed pine sprays
- Florist's wire
- Pinecones (optional, depending on how many pinecones your swag has)
- 1-2/3 yards of 2-inch-wide wire-edge red ribbon
- Faux red berries on stems
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
1. Lay the swag on your work surface. Center the mixed pine sprays vertically on the swag, placing one spray pointing toward the top and one toward the bottom (with stems meeting toward the middle). Wire the sprays to the swag. Use florist's wire to attach additional pinecones as you like to the middle of the swag, centering them on the swag vertically and slightly below center.
2. Use florist's wire to attach a bow made from the red ribbon, placing it toward the top of the swag just above the pinecones. To make the bow, cut a 40-inch length of ribbon. Leaving a 10-inch tail, make a 5-inch loop, holding the ribbon between your thumb and index finger. Continue holding the ribbon, and make a second loop the same size in the opposite direction. Continue until you have six loops. Wrap wire around the bow center, not trimming the wire ends. For the remaining bow tails, wire the remaining piece of ribbon to the center. Trim the wire and ribbon ends.
3. Hot-glue faux red berry stems to the Christmas swag, fanning out from the swag center.