- Heavy cotton striped fabric
- Sewing machine and color coordinating thread
- Straight pins
- Rickrack trim in coordinating colors
- Fabric glue
- Photocopies of family portraits
- Embellishments such as snowflake baubles, letter stickers, etc.
- Clothespins (vintage or new)
1. Download and print the free stocking pattern; enlarge the pattern 400% using a photocopier. Use the pattern to cut a stocking front and back from striped fabric, reversing one of the shapes. Fold the top edge of each stocking piece under 1 inch toward the wrong side; press.
2. Pin the right sides of the stocking shapes together. Sew around the edges, using a 1/2-inch seam allowance, leaving the top edge open. Clip the curves. Turn the stocking right side out; press.
3. Trim the stockings as desired with rickrack and buttons using fabric glue to adhere. Decorate around a photocopied picture with rickrack, letter stickers, and snowflake shapes.
4. Tie a clothespin to your stair railing with a length of ribbon. Hang the stocking from the clothespin, and tuck the trimmed photograph between the clothespin and stocking as shown.
Tip: When cutting the fabric for other stockings, vary the look by changing the orientation of the stripes.