Make a Blue Christmas Stocking
This stocking takes on a mod flair with a ruff of oh-so-soft white fake fur and a tiny sparkling star made from white icy beads.
What You Need
- 5/8 yard of blue velveteen fabric
- 5/8 yard of blue lining fabric
- Two 18-inch lengths of 3-inch-wide fur trim
- Matching sewing thread
- 2-1/2-inch-diameter beaded snowflake
How To Make It
- Enlarge the stocking pattern using a photocopier. Cut out the pattern.
- When sewing pieces together, use a 1/2-inch seam allowance with right sides facing.
- Cut a stocking front and back and a cuff from blue velveteen and a matching lining stocking front and back cuff.
- Sew the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edge open. Trim the seams; clip the curves.
- Turn the stocking right side out. Repeat with stocking lining pieces, but do not turn right side out.
- Slip the lining inside the stocking with wrong sides facing, aligning the top edges. Baste the top edges together.
- Cut a 1-1/2 X 6-inch strip of blue velveteen for the hanging loop; press under 1/4 inch on each long edge.
- Fold the strip in half lengthwise, aligning the pressed edges; press again and stitch shut.
- Fold the strip in half to form a loop and stitch to the top edge.
- Sew the cuff to the cuff lining at the long bottom edge; press seam allowances open. Sew the trim to the cuff.
- Cut a 3 X 18-inch strip of blue velveteen for trim binding. Fold the binding strip in half with wrong sides together; press.
- Position the binding strip along the top edge of the cuff; sew using a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Fold the binding over the top edge; edge-stitch in place.
- Fold the lining to the back side of the cuff; baste the top edges together. Stitch the short ends of the cuff together to create a circle; press seams open.
- Slip the cuff inside the stocking with the right side of the cuff facing the stocking lining.
- Align the top edges; sew the cuff to the stocking. Fold the cuff over the right side of the stocking.
- Hand-sew a snowflake to the stocking front.