Christmas Elf Stockings
This year, recruit elves to decorate your stockings instead of fill them.
Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
- Tracing paper
- 18x24-inch piece of Zweigart 28-count Cashel 100-percent linen: Antique White
- Waster-soluble marking pen
- 24x26-inch piece of lightweight interfacing
- Embroidery frame and mounting tacks
- Red embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
- 2/3 yard of 45-inch-wide white cotton fabric (lining and back)
- 1/8 yard of red-and-white plaid fabric
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Trace the stocking pattern onto tracing paper; cut out. Using the stocking pattern, trace a separate cuff pattern onto tracing paper, adding a 1/2-inch seam allowance to the bottom edge. Cut out the cuff pattern.
Note: Set the original stocking pattern aside for later use as the lining pattern.
- Trace a separate stocking front (without the cuff) onto tracing paper, adding a 1/2-inch seam allowance to the top edge.
- Trace the desired boy or girl elf pattern onto the stocking front pattern as indicated. Do not cut out this pattern.
- Using a light box or other light source, trace the stocking front pattern onto the linen with the water-soluble marking pen.
- Cut an 18×24-inch piece of interfacing. Place linen atop the interfacing; baste layers together. Secure fabric in the embroidery frame with the mounting tacks.
- Using three strands of the red floss, chain-stitch along the traced lines, except for the smallest details, such as the eyes and mouth. Use a single strand of floss and tiny straight stitches to embroider these details.
- Cut out the embroidered stocking front and a stocking back from white cotton.
- Using the cuff pattern, cut two cuffs from plaid fabric. Back the cuffs with interfacing. With the right sides together, sew one cuff to the stocking front and one to the stocking back. Press the seam allowances toward the plaid fabric.
- Using the lining pattern, cut two linings from white cotton; set the linings aside.
- For the hanging loop, cut one 2x7-inch strip from plaid fabric. Fold the strip in half lengthwise with right sides together. Using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, stitch along the long edge; turn right side out and press. Press the strip in half crosswise, matching the raw edges.
- Place a stocking lining atop the stocking front with right sides together; slip hanging loop in between fabrics (on heel side of cuff), matching raw edges. Using 1/2-inch seam allowances, sew along top cuff edge. Lay stocking open and press open the seam allowance. Repeat for stocking back and remaining lining piece (without the hanging loop).
- Position the front/lining atop the back/lining with right sides together. Sew around the outside edge, leaving a 4-inch opening in the lining for turning. Turn the shape right side out and press. Sew the opening closed. Slip the lining inside the stocking.