Make a Holiday Stitched Stocking
Embellish a white felt stocking with red embroidery floss. Personalize this stocking by stitching your little one's name on the cuff.
What You Need
- 1/2 yard white felt
- Red cotton embroidery floss
- Size 5 needle
- Matching sewing thread
- Scalloped-edge scissors
- Stiffened white crafts felt
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cut five 17-x-2-1/4-inch strips of white felt.
- On each strip, fold back each raw long edge and press lightly.
- Measure and mark 1/2-inch spaces on each long side of the strips. Using red embroidery floss, stitch large X shapes to join the strips.
- Enlarge the stocking pattern using a photocopier. Cut the stocking front out of the strip assembly and cut the stocking back out of white felt.
- With right sides together and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edges open. Trim the seams and clip the curves.
- Turn the stocking right side out. Fold the top edge of the stocking over 1/4-inch and topstitch.
- Using scalloped-edge scissors, cut a 3-x-19-inch length of stiffened white crafts felt for a stocking cuff.
- Stitch large X shapes along the center of the cuff strip. With right sides together and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew the short edges of the embroidered cuff strip together. Turn and press.
- Glue or hand-stitch the cuff to the top edge of the stocking.