Make a Holiday Star Stocking
Embellish a simple stocking with tinsel and ribbon. Finish the festive decoration with stars and jingle bells.
What You Need
- Tracing paper
- Red and cream silk fabric: 3/4 yard of desired color for stocking and 1/2 yard of desired color for cuff
- Sew-in craft-weight interfacing
- Matching sewing threads
- 12-inch length of 5/8- to 1-1/2-inch-wide wire-edged ribbon for hanging loop
- Crafts glue
- Needle and thread
- Silver tinsel
- Ribbon: 1 1/4 yards of 5/8-inch-wide and 1 yard of 1-1/2-inch-wide
- 3 purchased silver glitter stars
- Jingle bells: 3 large and 3 small
How to Make It
Note: All of the stockings use the same patterns and are assembled in the same manner. Refer to the Embellish It portion of the instructions for directions on trimming specific stockings.
- Trace the stocking and cuff patterns from the pattern pack onto tracing paper; cut out shapes. Use the stocking pattern to cut two stockings from your choice of silk for the front and back, reversing one of the shapes, and two from interfacing. Cut four cuffs from the second silk and two from the interfacing.
- To sew pieces together, use a 1/2-inch seam allowance with right sides facing. Machine-baste the interfacing stocking shapes to the wrong side of the stocking front and back. Sew the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edges open. Trim the seams and clip the curves.
- Turn the stocking right side out; press. Machine-baste the interfacing cuff shapes to the wrong side of the cuff shapes. Sew the cuff front to the back at the side edges. Press seam allowances open.
- Sew together the side edges of the cuff lining, press seam allowances open, and turn right side out. Slip cuff lining into cuff with right sides together; sew bottom edges together. Turn the cuff right side out and press.
- Baste the top edge of the cuff and lining together. Slip the cuff inside the stocking with the right side of the cuff facing the inside of the stocking; sew to stocking.
- Fold the cuff over the right side of the stocking about 1 1/2 inches from the seam. Fold a 12-inch length of ribbon in half. Sew the ribbon ends inside the stocking, centered along the back. Or sew the ribbon ends to the top corner on the heel side of the stocking.
- Hand-sew tinsel around the stocking edge. Center and glue 5/8-inch-wide ribbon on the stocking front, cutting an upside down "V" in the end. Glue the stars on the ribbon.
- Cut three 6-inch lengths of 5/8-inch-wide ribbon. Hand-sew running stitches along one edge of each ribbon.
- Pull the thread ends to gather the ribbon into circles. Glue a ribbon circle centered on each star and a jingle bell on each ribbon circle. Let the glue dry.
- Fold the 1-1/2-inch-wide ribbon to make a 2-1/2-inch-wide bow at the center. Hand-sew this bow 1 inch from the center bottom of the cuff, attaching a small jingle bell at the same time.
- Working outward from the center, make a bow near each end in the same manner. Sew the bows and the bells to the cuff about 2 inches from the side edges.